There will be times when you may need to change the VAT liability on a VAT return but again you may not need to enter a transaction such as an invoice, receipt or a bank transaction. This can be done using a VAT adjustment journal.
Creating the Journal
The first step is to enable the journal if you haven't already done so. When ready, go to Journal > Add New Entry. Using the options here:
- Entry Date – this needs to be dated of the return your running and want to modify. For example, if you were running the return for Q1 2013 you need to date this journal between 01/01/2013 and 31/03/2013 otherwise it will not appear in the return
- Category – select VAT journal
- Comment 0 enter in VAT Adjustment to help you easily identify this in future
When ready, click Add Entry.
Create the Entry
From the next page enter in your adjustment between the VAT nominal codes. The nominal codes you would normally use on Tally are the following:
- Input VAT – this is the VAT recorded on purchases and outgoings
- Output VAT – this is the VAT recorded on invoices and money received
- VAT control – this account keeps track of the VAT account balance
When ready, click Save Changes.