To import your products into Tally just map your spreadsheet according to the guidance below, making sure to include the required columns and to format them correctly.
The products import requires two critical fields:
- Nominal Code – this is the nominal code of the Sales Type or Outgoing Type that you want to add the product to and needs to be already set up in Tally, you can see your Sales & Outgoing Types in your Chart of Accounts – i.e. “4001”.
- Product Name – this is the name of your product – i.e. “MP3 Player”.
The other optional fields you can have are listed below, along with a description, how it should be formatted and example text:
- Product Code – this is a code you can give your product and should ideally be unique – i.e. “MP3Player2”.
- Managed – if you would like Tally to manage your stock levels of this item, this should be either Yes or No – i.e. “Yes”.
- Quantity in Stock – the amount of stock of this item you currently hold – this should be a whole number - i.e. “55”.
- Stock Warning Quantity – when you would like to get alerted about a low stock quantity, this should be a whole number – i.e. “5”.
- Auto-Enter Details – if you would like the description, price and VAT information automatically entered when you select this product – this should be either Yes or No – i.e. “Yes”.
- Price – the price of this item, this should be a number to a maximum of two decimal places and not include the currency symbol – i.e. “5.00”.
- Wholesale Price – if you sell to wholesalers you can define a wholesale price of this item, this should be a number to a maximum of two decimal places and not include the currency symbol – i.e. “2.00”.
- VAT Rate - the rate of VAT in percent to apply to this item – this should be to a maximum of one decimal places and not include the percentage symbol – i.e. “17.5”.
- Description - a description of your product – i.e. “Laptop”.
Uploading the template
To import, click Settings > Import Data > Import CSV Files > Enter in your Username & Password > Select CSV > Select Products > Upload your file > Use the drop downs to map the file.