Our CSV will even let you import all your journals too. Just map your spreadsheet to be like our template and make sure you include all the required columns below. The journal must balance otherwise the import will fail.
The journal import requires four critical fields:
- Journal Number – this is the identification number of the journal – it must be a number – i.e. “1”.
- Date – this is the date that the journal is dated, it must be in DD/MM/YYYY format – i.e. “01/01/2012”.
- Line Amount – this is the amount to be credited or debited, to credit an amount make it a negative, it must be a number to a maximum of two decimal places – i.e. “-40.00”.
- Type Name/Nominal Code – this is the code to be debited or credited and must already be defined in your Chart of Accounts (accessible at Settings > Chart of Accounts) – i.e. “4001” or “Sale of Goods”.
The other optional fields you can have are listed below, along with a description, how it should be formatted and example text:
- Journal Comment – this can be a description of your journal – i.e. “Year End 2010”.
- Narrative/Journal Line Comment - this can be a description of your credit or debit – i.e. “Electric Bill”.
Uploading the template
To import, click Settings > Import Data > Import CSV Files > Enter in your Username & Password > Select CSV > Select Journal Entry > Upload your file > Use the drop downs to map the file.