Tally doesn't yet have the facility to accommodate fuel scale charges automatically. Instead, you will need to create a manual journal entry for this.
Creating the Journal
The first step is to enable the journal if you haven’t already done so. When ready, go to Journal > Add New Entry. Using the options here:
- Entry Date – this needs to be dated of the return your running and want to include the scale charges on. For example, if you were running the return for Q1 2013 you need to date this journal between 01/01/2013 and 31/03/2013 otherwise it will not appear in the return
- Category – select standard journal
- Comment – enter in Fuel Scale Charges to help you easily identify this in future
When ready, click Add Entry.
Create the Entry
From the next page enter in your adjustment between the VAT nominal codes and the motoring expenses nominal codes that you have used. The VAT nominal codes you would normally use on Tally are the following:
- Input VAT – this is the VAT recorded on purchases and outgoings
- Output VAT – this is the VAT recorded on invoices and money received
When ready, click Save Changes.