Tally allows you to customise nearly every element of your documents. You can include a logo, a background image, change the font colour and more. Documents refer to Invoices, Quotes, Purchase Orders, Packing Slips, Remittance Advice and Payment Receipts.
Access your document settings by going to Settings > PDF Themes. You can modify an existing theme by clicking on one; by default we include two as standard:
- Clean – This is a very basic theme. When creating a new theme its best to create it from this.
- Classic – if you've been using Tally prior to switching over to the new theme creator then this will closely resemble your existing theme.
Creating a new theme
To create a new theme go to Settings > PDF Themes > Add New > Name your theme and select Clean > Click Create Theme button.
These options let you edit the fundamentals of your documents:
- Name – use this option to rename your theme.
- Font – change the font and the font colour.
- Your Address – use the option here to decide to include the company address set in Settings > Company Details, to specify a different address or to not include an address at all. Use the tick boxes to specify if you want to include your phone number and e-mail address that’s specified in Settings > Company Details.
- Date Format – this is how dates will appear on your invoices.
These options allow you to include images on your documents:
- Logo – upload a logo by Ticking the Box > Upload a Logo Image > Select file on your computer. When uploaded the logo width will be the size of the logo as uploaded, to scale it use the logo width option to set how many pixels in width it should be.
- Background – use the tickboxes to include a background image on printed documents, emailed documents or both. Typical background image dimensions are 891 pixels high x 630 pixels wide.
- Repeat Background – ticking this will repeat the background image on all subsequent pages of the document, if unticked the background image will only appear on the first page.
- Stamps – payment stamps are small images that appear on your invoices depending on the payment status. Tick the boxes to decide if to include these for paid and overdue invoices.
- Payment Button – tick this to include a Pay Online button on your invoices. Setup the pay online button by going to Settings > Card Options.
Borders & Margins
Borders are lines around set sections of your documents and margins are the page margins:
- Borders – Use the tickboxes to decide which parts of your documents to put a line around.
- Margins – Use the number fields to decide to margins of your documents. The higher the number to further away from the page edge the document elements will appear. You can also use negative numbers here to bring them closer to the document edge.
These options let you set various other settings that affect your documents:
- Show Payments – tick this to show what has been paid and what is still due on part paid invoices.
- Tax Layout – Use the options here to decide how to show the VAT on your printed invoices. You can either show it on a per line basis or as a total.
- Tax Breakdown – Use the options here to decide if the VAT should be shown as a per item or sub-total.
- Document Footer – Use this to enter a document footer on all of your printed documents.
- Additional Text – use this field to enter a standardized piece of text on all your documents. You can define different text for each document
- Invoices – additional text could include your standard payment terms, bank details for BACS payments or terms and conditions.
- Quotes – additional text could include your terms and conditions regarding to the validity of the quote.
Use the options in this section to define how to label these document elements in generated documents.
HTML & CSS
If your confident with HTML and CSS you can modify your themes using these options. Something to note that our support with this feature can be limited, so you should only use this option if your confident with HTML and CSS. You can also use these options to use a non numeric invoice number as well as add additional pages to your documents.
Applying a Theme
You can change your default theme by going to Settings > PDF Themes > Mouse over the theme that you would like to make your default theme and click the green tick.
Change theme for a customer
You can change your theme on a per customer basis by going to Customers > Select the Customer > Options Tab > Use the PDF Theme dropdown to select the theme to applied to this customers documents.